Monday, September 15, 2014

Small Space Thankfulness

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:23

I love these fall mornings. The freshness of the cool air and rising sun on all the vegetation covered in dew is amazing. I think I must have been required to memorize this  text as a child in school at some point because it pops in my head often as I make the trip.

As much as possible, I try to take advantage of the option of biking to school when the weather allows as it has many times this month already. It is good for my health, it costs less, and it is good for the environment. I’ve also realized that it is good for me in another way. The fifteen minute bike ride to and from school forces me to be observant about my surroundings, and notice change. Much different than driving my vehicle, I notice the smell of freshly mown grass, lilac bushes, even people’s cooking from time to time. I see birds and squirrels fluttering about and notice an elderly gentleman’s efforts to revive a tree that nearly died last winter.

Our weekly chapel this morning challenged students to extend our theme of “Walk in the Way of Love” to a way of looking with purpose at the smallest of places with appreciation and thankfulness for God’s blessing. Food on a plate, a favorite painting on a wall, or even the sunlight streaming in your window  are evidence of God’s good creation created for our delight and pleasure. We may have our attention drawn to things that are more epic or exotic, however we do well to recognize these gifts which are much more common around us as we go about our daily rhythm of life.

The “small spaces” things that I am grateful this morning are the sounds of happy, content  JK & SK students outside my door, the sway of a majestic tree in the breeze outside my window, and a picture hanging on my wall which reminds me of the group who gave it me. 

We pray our students will develop  a spirit of thankfulness for the everyday things that make life beautiful. What do you notice today?                                                   

                                                                                                                                                                SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment