Thursday, December 17, 2020

A Fresh View of an Old Story: Christmas in Our Christian School

 I found them in a stable 

Kings and shepherds gathered round 

It seemed there was no room 

For the likes of me there to be found 

I could not understand it 

But I had to see the child 

When the mother bade me to come near 

I swear I saw him smile 

Then I heard what sounded like 

A thousand chains breaking apart 

And a door now swinging open 

Letting light enter my heart (The Innkeeper L.Gallant

It’s not hard for Christmas rhythms and rituals to become detached from their significance and meaning. Routine and repetition of the well-known Bethlehem narrative can dull the event down to a cozy, warm story that is more of a hot chocolate memory than the transformational-for-all- time event heralded by a sky full of God’s finest. 

I`ve always appreciated songwriters who challenge us to rise above Christmas kitsch. Lennie Gallant (above, have a listen with the link) has the innkeeper recount how the story changed him, moving us away from ritual and unrealistic ideas of Christ`s birth toward deeper reflection of what Immanuel – God with us was like for the inhabitants of the chaotic city of Bethlehem, with all of the rough edges included. The innkeeper’s realization above that Christ’s birth was for him too helps us to see God knew of our need of a Saviour that night in Bethlehem so long ago. 

What joy that in our Christian school we can do so much more than decorate with tinsel, or a wish each other “Happy Holidays!” Our students are led to reflect on God’s great love that pierced the darkness of our sin and make us whole again. Now that’s a story that never grows old! 

SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment